M.L.A., Department of Landscape Architecture. Mississippi State University, 2015 Thesis: Examining the relationship between avifauna and green roofs in Mississippi’s humid-subtropical climate. December 2014 defense.
B.F.A., Fine Art, Sculpture emphasis, Department of Art, Mississippi State University, 2009 Thesis: Material Study.
Mississippi School for Mathematics & Science, 2004 graduate
Lamb Landscape Photography, Fall 2016- current
- Independent Contractor, Post-Occupancy Landscape Photography Services. Includes staging site, light maintenance, and fluffing for high-quality site documentation.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Graduate School, Virginia Tech, Fall 2018 – current
- Fall 2018: Teaching Assistant, Contemporary Pedagogy; Preparing the Future Professoriate Graduate Certificate Core, Transformative Graduate Education Experience
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant, Landscape Architecture Program, School of Architecture + Design, College of Architecture and Urban Studies, Virginia Tech, Fall 2016 – Spring 2021
- Fall 2019-present: Research Assistant, African American Recreation pre-Civil Rights movement; Organization of American Historians & the National Park Service, Landscape Architecture Program
- Spring 2018: Teaching Assistant, Landform Function & Aesthetics; Landscape Architecture Program
- Fall 2017-Summer 2018: Research Assistant, Chattahoochee National Water Trail Conceptual Plan Project; Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area & National Water Trail, National Park Service & Landscape Architecture Program
- Fall 2017: Program Communications & on the planning team for the 2018 Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Conference; Landscape Architecture Program
- Spring 2017: Teaching Assistant, Landform Function & Aesthetics; Landscape Architecture Program
- Fall 2016: Program Communications & Research Assistant; Landscape Architecture Program
Sales, Green Oak Garden Center LLC, Jackson, MS, November 2014 – June 2016 Designer, consultant, and salesperson for Green Oak. I met with clients, heard their requests, needs, and visions, and then produced for them custom design solutions. Green Oak is a full service Florist and Garden Center with a Design Department that provides Landscape, Interiorscape, Colorscape, and Christmascape services. I used all of the resources available to my business to fulfill the needs of my clients.
Resident Gardener, Department of Landscape Architecture, MSU, Summer 2014 Designed and implemented an art installation in department entrance, maintained flower beds there & at wildflower arboretum located at North Farm, contributed to Zuber Park Stream Restoration & Pollinator Garden.
Teaching Assistant, Department of Landscape Architecture, MSU, Fall 2012 – Spring 2014
- Spring 2014: Computers in Landscape Architecture
- Fall 2013: Introduction to Landscape Architecture
- Spring 2013: Computers in Landscape Architecture
- Fall 2012: Landscape Systems & Plant Communities
Wait Staff Manager/Bartender, Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern, Starkville, MS, May 2009 – June 2012 Created schedules, calculated payroll, contributed to weekly staff meetings, managed social media, handled vendors, encouraged promotional & marketing opportunities.
- 2020 COVID-19 Working Groups
- Remote Assessment & Proctoring Working Group
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Workshop Planner
- 2018-2019 Graduate Student Association, Delegate; Chair & Parliamentarian of the Judicial & Electoral Affairs Internal Committee, Virginia Tech
- 2018-2019 Graduate Honor Society, Judicial Review Board Panelist
- 2018-2019 Graduate Student Fellow, Leadership and Social Change Residential College, Virginia Tech
- 2017-present Departmental Advisory Board Member, Department of Landscape Architecture, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, Mississippi State University
- 2018-2020 Board Chair
- CELA 2018 (Blacksburg) Full Conference Paper Reviewer
- CELA 2018 (Blacksburg) Planning Committee Member. (Spring 2017-Spring 2018). Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture International Conference. Specifically planned and coordinated the five site tours across Southwest Virginia.
- 2018 Benefactor & Volunteer for Seasonal Color Garden at Rainbow Riders Daycare Center.
- 2016-present Hike Leader for Hike it Baby! Around the New River Valley, Virginia
- Virginia Tech HBCU/MSI Research Summit 2018. Poster Submission; Conceptual Plan for an Equitable Greenway through Metro-Atlanta: Leveraging the Chattahoochee River to Increase Social & Ecological Connectivity
- CELA 2018. Transforming the Discussion, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA. “Green Roofs & Birds: Observations & Opportunities for Supplementing Wildlife Habitat,” Timothy J Schauwecker, MSU, M.LA. adviser & co-author, Landscape Planning & Ecology Track, presentation.
- CELA 2018. Transforming the Discussion, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA. “Watershed Research in Landscape Architecture“, Timothy J Schauwecker, panel coordinator, MSU; Landscape Planning & Ecology Track, panel presentation.
- CELA 2014. Layers: Landscape, City, & Community, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD. “Green Roofs & Birds: Observations & Opportunities for Supplementing Wildlife Habitat,” Advisor & co-author Timothy J Shauwecker, MSU, Landscape Planning & Ecology Track, presentation.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & PUBLIC SPEAKING
- August 18, 2020 Graduate Student Panelist, Graduate Teaching Assistant Workshop, Virginia Tech
- August 21, 2020 Graduate Student Panelist, Graduate School Orientation, Virginia Tech
- 2018 Virginia ASLA Annual Conference, Bridging Design & Cultural Landscapes, Emerging Professionals Panel Speaker: “Emerging Trends in Landscape Architecture“, Natural Bridge State Park, Natural Bridge, Virginia
- 2018 Pecha Kucha speaker, “Developing an Ecological Perspective”, Blacksburg Sustainability Week
- 2018 Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area Speak Out
- 2016 – Present: PARKing Day, Social Media Mission Amplifier, Virgina Tech
- Feb. 9, 2018 Community Workshop Participant, “Turner Pedestrian Passage,” Landscape Architecture Program, Virginia Tech
- 2016 – Present: Hike Leader in and around the New River Valley through Hike it Baby!
- October 4-6, 2016 XTREME LA Virginia Tech Landscape Forms & Landscape Architecture Foundation sponsored charrette
HONORS & AWARDS
•2018 Landscape Architecture Program Faculty Book Award for service to the Program
2018 VTGrATE (Virginia Tech Graduate Academy for Teaching Excellence) member; teaching resource and mentoring program, Virginia Tech
• 2018 Preparing the Future Professoriate: Global Perspectives Program study abroad participant, Graduate School, Virginia Tech
• 2016-2017 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, College of Architecture and Urban Studies, School of Architecture + Design, Landscape Architecture Program, Virginia Tech
• 2016-2017 Citizen Scholar Recipient, Hike it Baby! New River Valley; Citizen Scholar Engagement and Transformative Graduate Education, Virginia Tech
• 2014-2015 Outstanding Thesis Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2013-2014 ASLA Merit Award for Excellence in the Study of Landscape Architecture, MS Chapter
• 2013-2014 Planning & Design Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2013-2014 Communications Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2013 MSASLA Merit Award, Student Award for Community Service: OCHM
• 2013 ASLA Award of Excellence in Student Collaboration for OCHM
• 2012-2013 Outstanding Community Service Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2012-2013 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Dept. of Landscape Architecture, MSU
• 2011 Matthew Gaskin Memorial Scholarship recipient; 9 years of service industry experience
• 2004-2008 MTAG/MSG, State of Mississippi
• 2004-2008 Academic Scholarship, MSU
ACHIEVEMENTS & CERTIFICATES
• 2018 Watershed Management Graduate Certificate, Virginia Tech
• 2017 Preparing the Future Professoriate Graduate Certificate, Virginia Tech
• 2015 Certified Nursery Professional, Mississippi Nursery & Landscape Association
• 2014-2015 Built a 600 sf Tiny Home on family land in Mississippi
• 2014 CELA Conference, Baltimore, MD. Oral presentation on thesis topic
• 2014 Completed Frostbite Half Marathon, Starkville, MS
• 2013-2014 MSU Department of Landscape Architecture Wood Shop Certified
• 2009 Senior Thesis Art Show. Material Study. Department of Art, MSU
AutoCAD, ArcGIS Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUP, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Quickbooks, jMetrik, Slack, SPSS, SAS, Zotero, Zoom
Italy: Summer 2008 (MSU, Department of Art) Study on Italian landscape & culture through design. Hosted through the Vicenza Institute of Architecture.
Global Perspectives Program 2018: Switzerland (Virginia Tech Graduate School) Theme: Evolving U.S. & European Higher Education [Areas of Research for Group: 1. Teaching & Learning 2. Open Access 3. Diversity & Inclusion 4. Trends in Doctoral education. Personal Research Topic: Emerging Trends in Design Education ]
Kalu Yala Entrepreneurial Internship, Panama City, Panamà. Outdoor Recreation Intern, Summer 2013 Spent 3 months living off the grid at an intentional community. Primary project: designed/built a sand filter for community grey water treatment. Contributed to multiple intern projects with interns from other Kalu Yala areas of interest.
MSU Department of Landscape Architecture Design/Build: Oktibbeha County Heritage Museum (OCHM), Summer 2012 Participated in the comprehensive development and construction of multiple site features including the cistern, green roof pavilion, signage and parking lot wheel stops.
Coastal Flood Resilience
Urban Ecosystem Services
Ecological Design/Watershed Sensitive Design
Low Impact Development
Teaching & Learning